Tuesday, September 19, 2006

LIBRARY WEEK

















It's Library Week. Thanks to Penny and Karen for reminding us.

When I visit the library I mostly come home with non-fiction. Autobiographies, diet/fitness books (so I can read up and scoff at all the latest diets), books about other countries. I don't bring home much fiction even though I love reading. At the library I get overwhelmed by the choice and pick up book after book that doesn't interest me. I prefer to buy fiction (and cook books, but that's another story).

We have a library at home. I know that's a luxury. Books are so cool and it's great to have somewhere to store them. Our library is a quiet place. A kids-free zone. A technology-free zone. Just a place to read (or play the piano or electric guitar - actually - it's not so quiet at times!). A place to store/display my collection of religious artwork (some inherited from my grandparents). But lately the book piles have grown too much and DH is having a wee clean out. Well that means he has pulled books off the shelves and turned them into piles on the floor. Piles of books he thinks would sell on TradeMe. He buys dozens every year on TradeMe. We read different stuff. The only place we cross over is Patricia Cornwell. The problem is I hate selling books. It takes hours to list them on Trade Me and to pack them up and take them to the Post Shop. I would rather give them away. Visitors to our home get the first dibs.

It's a good time to visit.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Love reading. At the moment love reading Phillipa Greory and just read the Borgia Bride which was great. Hubby hates it cause I dont put the book down but thats ok:) Kids no to feed themselves

Anonymous said...

yummy books. yummy library.
loving your subtle *invite to visit* ... and wishing I lived closer so we could do some swaps!

Roo said...

Oh wow would love a library. I too prefer to give books away rather than sell.

Anonymous said...

Love Patricia Cornwell too. However her last two books have disapointed me. Hmmm can I come and visit and take some books of your hands?

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have a library
It looks a wonderful place to read.

Penny said...

I need to visit you. ;P

I dream of having a house where I can have room for a wall or walls dedicated to bookshelves, plus the comfy couch/beanbags to go with it. I have to restrain myself from buying books because we've nowhere to put them :(

I also have a cookbook fetish...

Anonymous said...

Love Patricia Cornwell - as well love books - love your library although have barely read anything lately apart from scrap magazines does that count??

Donna said...

I'd love to have a library - not that I'm a great reader but I love non fiction books and I would like to store my albums there!! My dream

Delys said...

Im drooling at your library here. Wish i lived closer too!